Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Coppernic Encourages EU to Use Biometric Solutions From EU Suppliers for the Entry-Exit System

The Managing Director of Coppernic, Kevin Lecuivre, spoke through a local newspaper in support of the French and European expertise in biometric technology for the impending Entry-Exit System (EES).

He urged that the EU consider utilising European biometric solutions, such as terminals that his company makes for the forthcoming EES, instead of those from China or other countries, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

In a blog post on Coppernic’s website, Lecuivre welcomed the advantages of the new system, which is expected to establish a European biometric database that will help to strengthen border security and management for the Schengen Area countries.

“We can obviously see the benefits of such an innovation for the various police services involved in the fight against illegal immigration, human trafficking, terrorism, and certain other serious forms of crime,” the Managing Director said, commenting on the advantages of biometric solutions.

Notwithstanding its centralised nature, the new system of EES will allow states of the Schengen Area to choose their own biometric solution providers to deploy at every land or sea access control point in the EU.

“We know from experience that some will only decide on the basis of the price, even if it means turning to non-European solutions, probably Chinese,” the Lecuivre added.

Furthermore, Lecuivre described the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of the EU as a reference in the area of personal data protection and insisted that the Member States choose biometric solutions that are in compliance with the EU rules.

He explained that the EU has recently warned its Member States about Huawei’s use for the sensitive part of the upcoming 5G network after evidence has revealed that the Chinese company developed a self-regulating alarm for the oppressed citizens in China.

According to Lecuivre, selecting European companies to deploy biometric solutions for the EES would provide an additional guarantee for the countries that choose them.

In addition to that, the EU allegedly is to invest €34.9 billion on the new system in the next six years, between 2021 and 2027. Of the total, 75 per cent of the amount will be paid by the EU, whereas the remaining part of 25 per cent will have to be covered by the Member States themselves.

“My experience as a business leader has led me to believe that the changes to come will have consequences on our security, our technological independence, and our sovereignty. Europe must change its approach,” Lecuivre concluded, addressing the EU.

Previously, the EU signed a contract for the creation of an extensive biometric database to enhance the border security in the area, which among others, will replace passport stamps. Whereas, last month, IDEMIA announced that the Entry-Exit System would be able to meet the EU border laws, following a released position paper that outlined the main five recommendations for the system.



No comments:

Post a Comment